CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 19, 2009

First Dental Visit

Well Auroras doctor recommended she see the dentist at 12 months but ive been wondering whether i should just take her to the regular dentist we see and whom i have known for my entire life.. Or a pediatric dentist that will specialize in the care of a youngsters teeth and dealing with a youngsters fears. Well the regular dentist really saw no need to see her so young.. I looked online for some pediatric dentists locally, but never really came up with one.

Well at Auroras 18 month check up I brought up my concerns to the doc and he recommended the pediatric dentist..and even a specific office.. I checked into them and they seemed great. So i made the appointment. They sent me a bunch of paperwork to read and fill out before her appointment, which will be March 25th. Took our dental insurance info and gave me an idea of whats going to happen. This dentist is a little further than i had looked prior, but right next to her pedis office.

They said the first appointment will usually take 45mins to an hour. They will go over any bad habits she has (ie thumb sucking, bottle taking, paci usage, etc... None of which she does...), what she eats and when, who brushes her teeth (john and i do.. she doesnt do it well enough herself yet), then they will go over what she should and shouldnt eat, proper dental hygiene. They will then check her teeth, do anything if necessary, and then give her a toy and balloon or something..

They said they want the experience to be as enjoyable as possible. They have a child geared waiting room, every dental room has a flat screen tv that plays children's movies. They have a male and female dentist. I informed them that aurora is more afraid of men and she has her appointment with the female dentist.

Im excited because it seems like a great place and i feel like i made a good choice for my child. However im worried about how its going to go, he 18 month checkup was miserable, she was sooo frightened to let them touch her. I think I will be switching her primary doc. Currently she sees a male who I like, but like i said, aurora doesnt take too well to men and she doesnt see the doc very often. Johnny has a female pedi and we really like her, so i think i will be changing her primary pedi to johnnys pedi.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I hope she does well :) I used to be a dental assistant and we had a hard time getting any child under the age of 3 to even open their mouth, so don't be alarmed if she screams a lot :( It's completely normal to be so scared. I'm waiting til Alex is 2 to take him in, but I know he has no issues since I know what to look for :) I hope it goes well for you and she enjoys it.

My life said...

Thanks. Screaming is sadly what i expect. She had a lot of screaming at her 18 month check up.

I was struggling with whether or not to take her to the dentist. All the family dentists i talked to preferred to delay her first appointment until she was entering school, however her pedi and our health care insurance seems to push dental appointments early on.