CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 28, 2008

Need some encouragement...

So I know ive been MIA for awhile, but we have been so busy and had so much to deal with lately. John has continually lost weight since birth..as of today he has dropped from 10lbs to 8lbs 14oz...they are concerned because he has lost ten percent of his birth weight and is now a bit jaundiced..and if thats not enough..I have mastitis in one of my breasts. We are continuing to breastfeed and see the lactation nurse regularly.. And as of right now we are giving him pumped breast milk (or possibly formula if i dont have enough pumped breast milk to cover him over the weekend) in a bottle. It started out with us breastfeeding and then giving him a 1/2 to an 1 of pumped breast milk in a bottle...well he still lost weight. I told the lactation consultant that i feel he isnt latched on as deeply at home as when she helps us out at the clinic. Here is the low down on whats happened.
On day three of us being home..i became horribly engorged..to the point that the baby couldnt latch on..i already have semi flat nipples and large breasts..but when they became larger due to the engorgement it became almost impossible for my nipple to stick far enough out for him to latch. So we saw the lactation consultant and she gave me a nipple shield which has worked wonders..and had us supplement him with the 1/2 ounce to an ounce.. well we came home and did all of that..
Well on thanksgiving i woke up and thouht i was engorged in my right breast again.. fed the baby...then i began to get horrible chills..i got a fever and it just continued to rise..to 100.9 at its highest..called the advice nurse..they sent me in to urgent care...and it was confirmed that i had mastitis. I was put on antibiotics to get rid of the breast infection and told to continue nursing on the affected side. Well as the day went by he would refuse to eat on that side..and it seemed as though he wasnt getting much when he did and that i wasnt pumping much.. So we saw the lactation consultant today to learn he had lost even more weight...reaching the 8 14 that i mentioned prior... Well she discussed the mastitis with me and decided to have me not breastfeed him on that side and continue to feed him on my good side..especially since not much is coming out and its very painful to feed him on that side...she also said he looked jaundiced..more so than his last appointment.. So she called his pedi..had him order us a blood test..and told us to make an appointment on Monday or Tuesday to see the pedi and i have another lactation appointment on Monday.
We did the test, came home and waited for the results. In the meantime i breastfed him on my good breast and it went great..had to strip him down to the diaper to keep him awake (the lactation consultant mentioned that the jaundice most likely made him very sleep and lethargic... i wish she could see him at three in the morning when he is screaming his lungs out..) Then i pumped my infected breast and i got freaking 10ml...i dont know if you know how pitiful that is, but its pitiful. The lactation nurse told me thats normal..that the infection is blocking my ducts and not allowing me to let down my milk as well.. To ice my breast for the next two to three days and continue to pump it..and pump the other breast as well..
Then i got a call telling us that his jaundice levels were in the mild to moderate range and that as long as we stay vigilant on the new plan of supplementing him 2 ounces of either pumped breast milk or formula after every feeding, he should be fine till Monday. We just have to keep an eye on his wet and dirty diapers..and coloring.
Soooo..thats what we have been up to.. Im really hoping this will work out...

1 comments:

MomOfDudes said...

I feel for you remembering back to those difficult adjustment days. Keep a real close eye on that weight. That would be my biggest concern.

Praying for you
Troy